Pet Passports

If you would like to take your pet abroad for any reason, you will need either an EU Pet Passport or an export certificate.

Several of our vets are registered Official Veterinarians and can both advise and assist you with the necessary documentation and health requirements.

The rules for travelling to EU countries with your pet changed 1st January 2021. You should start the process at least 4 months before you travel.

Pet Passport Requirements for Travelling Within Europe

When taking your assistance dog, pet dog, cat or ferret abroad, your pet(s) will need the following prior to travelling:

  • an animal health certificate or a valid pet passport (check that your pet’s passport is accepted in the country you are travelling to)
  • a microchip
  • a current rabies vaccination
  • tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta

If you already have a pet passport, you should check if it’s accepted before you travel and find out if you need any other supporting documents.

Exemptions When Travelling with Five Pets or More

You cannot take more than 5 pets to an EU country or Northern Ireland unless you’re attending or training for a:

  • competition
  • show
  • sporting event

You’ll need written evidence of registration for the event when you travel.

All your pets must:

  • be attending the event or training
  • be over 6 months old
  • meet all the other requirements for pet travel to that country

Pet passport services from Local Vets Halesowen and Oldbury

Yes, a pet passport or Travel Certificates can only be given by an Official Veterinary or OV, therefor you need to make us aware at the time of booking so we can ensure one of our OV’s are available.

No, your pet can only travel to certain countries with their documents.

Since the UK left the EU, pet travel has changed significantly. Make sure you check all the requirements for the country you are travelling to ahead of time.

Yes, check if the company you are travelling with:

  • Will accept your pet for travel – and how many they’ll accept if you have more than one.
  • Needs any proof that your pet is fit and healthy to travel, for example a letter from a vet or certain information in your travel documents.

Dependent on where you are travelling (in or outside of the EU), you need to allow as much time as possible to reduce any risk of delay. Recent advise suggests to start the process 4 months prior to travel.

You can start their ‘primary’ vaccination at 8 weeks old (Lepto 2 & DHPPI), however, your puppy needs to be at least 12 weeks old for Rabies vaccination.

If you have any questions, please feel free to book an appointment with one of our OV’s who will be happy to run  you through the process.

Noemi Vet with puppies at local Vets


dog offers and services